Asia Pacific Telecommunity on Disaster Management
The objectives of the Symposium is to address and facilitate an information exchange on use of ICT for disaster management and communications.
The Asia-Pacific Telecommunity (APT) will organize the APT Symposium on Disaster Management from 24 to 26 September 2019 in Quezon City, The Philippines. The Symposium will be hosted by the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), Philippines.
The objectives of the Symposium is to address and facilitate an information exchange on use of ICT for disaster management and communications with special focus on preparedness, risk reduction, response and recovery phases for major natural disasters.
The specific objectives include:
- To facilitate the implementation of Strategic Plan of APT for 2018-2020;
- To provide information and techniques for disaster management activities including early warning systems and emergency communications, in disaster management;
- To bring the benefits of ICTs in the disaster prevention and management to member countries and develop their ICT skills to this field;
- To discuss advance disaster communication and network development;
- To promote the concept of Network Resiliency against Disaster focusing alleviation on congestion in emergency situations, minimizing disruption to communications in the event of damage to base and/or relay stations, implications of the recent disaster in regards to future network infrastructure, and implications of the recent disaster for Internet usage;
- To promote policies and strategies for sustainable, reliable and resilient telecommunication/ICT infrastructure and services to secure their availability, including during disasters, and to support all phases of disaster management, including dissemination of information to assist public safety, health and disaster-relief efforts.
The Asia Pacific Telecommunity Sysmposium was attended by DICT Secretary Gregorio Honasan, Former DICT Secretary Eliseo M. Rio, DICT Assistanct Secretary Alan Silor and other dignitaries.